Friday, January 21, 2011

Grave Goods


Perhaps a bit of a morbid way to start off my blog, (never mind my morning!), I want to talk about the sorts of material goods I would choose to have buried with me. 
                 
Thinking about this really reminded me of “time capsule” projects my elementary teachers used to have their classes do; a fairly similar concept in that you want whatever is buried with you to represent who you were in your life.  I suppose the key difference here would be the assumption that a time capsule would be re opened in the future versus a grave being left (hopefully) undisturbed.
                 
As a disclaimer, I don’t really see myself being chucked into a grave when I die, but for the sake of interest let’s say that I do!
                 
If it were entirely at my own discretion to choose my grave goods, I would choose things that held a lot of meaning for the people I left behind, as well as things that showed what I valued and loved during my life:

1.       Photos, or some visual/written/symbolic representation of my family
My family and I are very close, and they are obviously a major part of my life.  I feel that this would be meaningful not only to me, but to whomever I left behind to know they were cared for.

2.       Something like a passport/plane ticket
I have spent the majority of my life – thus far – travelling from place to place.  I spent most of my childhood living in Asia, and I feel that my experiences living overseas, and experiences drastically foreign cultures helped shape who I am today.  

3.        Engraved tablet or book with notes from people who were in my life
I think it would be meaningful to my friends and family to give their last goodbyes/sentiments/ stories/jokes etc. about me and have those memories preserved.  I’m not very into ceremony, and am highly opposed to any sort of sentimental/religious funeral so I think that giving people a chance to express their feelings about how they remember me would be appropriate.


I can’t really think of anything else to add at the moment, but I think it’s worth mentioning that my personal views on death, and it being an ultimate end to any sort of cognition or being, probably make planning such a symbolic, beautiful ritual less magical for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment